Pages

Monday 25 July 2016

Through the Black Spur

A few weekends ago I headed out of the city with a friend, desperate to get away from the concrete and monotony of the city. North east of Melbourne is the famous Yarra Ranges, and this drive, through the "Black Spur" is one of the most spectacular things I've ever experienced.

Enormous sky scraper trees loom over the road for miles, lush fern filled bush spills from the sides and the road winds and cuts through the forest like a theme-park ride. After driving from bush, into mist, into deep fog, we suddenly emerged into snow! I actually felt my face erupt into a huge smile and I begged to stop the car, I hadn't seen snow in 3 years! We ended up over 1000meters above sea level at the top and the car thermostat told us it was a freezing 1 degree! Just like home, and just what I needed.